Re: nm disabled by pppoeconf

On 05/06/2010 07:13 PM, Frederik Nnaji wrote:
network manager couldn't create a dsl connection on a modem/router device.

I know this is not your main question, but I'm quite curious: why didn't this work? What happened when you tried? If this is a bug in N-M, it would be great to get it fixed.

so i used pppoeconf.

pppoeconf handled everything with just confirming all the way through
it's interactive configuration dialog.
ever since the computer dials in to the internet properly.

now i have new hardware and i want to use WLAN on the machine..

network manager doesn't show up on my lucid.

Am I correct to understand that you mean that the network manager icon doesn't show up in your panel? What happens when you run nm-applet from a terminal?

Also, is the N-M daemon actually running? Try running
"status network-manager". If that says it's not running, try
"sudo start network-manager".

As far as pppoeconf goes, I don't know much about it (or about PPPoE in general), but Google gives me the impression that it and N-M should be able to coexist. It sounds like /etc/network/interfaces is involved, and on Ubuntu (and many Debian-based distros in general), N-M is setup by default to ignore any devices that have been configured by /etc/network/interfaces. Thus I'm guessing that N-M is not going to manage your Ethernet device - which I think is what we want when using pppoeconf. However, WLAN devices should be unaffected.

Perhaps you could post your /etc/network/interfaces? That might help figure out what's up.

Hope that helps!

Have a good one,
Daniel