Re: gui design of nm-applet

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 02:40:29 -0700, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 21:23 +0100, Hans-Gerd van Schelve wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:50:03 +0100, van Schelve <public van-schelve de>
>> wrote:
>> > Linux

>> > worried

>> > like

>> actions
Unfortunately
>> principles

>> > What do you think about presenting the list in this way:
>> One additional thing I thought about could be a "disconnect" entry
>> in each section
>
> Right, but now you're getting dangeriously close to what we already
> have :)  When you start adding a Disconnect option, you then need to
> physically separate that disconnect option somehow from the rest of the
> available connections, because Disconnect isn't a connection and thus
> shouldn't be grouped with the other connections unless there's some
> visible separation.

I don't think so. We discussed this once again. The disconnect option must
be in the group because it is directly affected to the one open connection
in this group. The line implicate a logical breakup. I tested this with a
small number of colleagues that never have seen nm-applet. They all told
me the same. They are confused about active connections, available
connections
and their first impression was that a line is a separation between two
devices.

> Would simply making the ----- Available ----- text a bit smaller suffice
> to reduce the open space?
>
> Dan