Re: dispatcher bug

On Sunday, 21.03.2010 00:56:22 ich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a local PPPoE connection with a dispatcher script. However it is
> called inconsistently. Upon activating the connection, scripts are called
> correctly with the parameters "ppp0 up". However when disconnecting, the
> dispatcher script is called with the parameters "eth0 down". It has been
> like that for quite some time now, but only recently has it started to
> annoy me enough to investigate.
>
> Is that worth a bug report?

Hm, I just realized NM actually "takes down" eth0 when I take down ppp0. What
the dispatcher script does is start "dhcpcd -t 5 eth0", which gives an IPv4LL
address to eth0. Now I don't see how NM comes to think it has the authority to
just remove that address from eth0 when I disconnect my PPPoE connection. I've
seen that kind of behaviour in other situations, too, when NM just changes
network settings that no one has told it to fiddle with.

So I guess this is not an actual bug but rather a political question:
Should NM consider itself the one and only authority for managing network
settings or should it try to interfere as little as possible with pre-existing
settings?

Of course, I'd prefer the latter, i.e. NetworkManager should never delete
information it hasn't created. Feels like this probably has been discussed
before. Any pointers?