Re: ModemManager / MBM / authentication

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 16:22 -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 15:55 -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 19:31 +0100, Andreas Böhler wrote:
> > > I'm using NetworkManager 0.8 / ModemManager 0.3 on Arch Linux in
> > > Austria, my provider is A1 on an Ericsson F3507g HSPA card. It is
> > > necessary to authenticate as user "ppp a1plus at".
> > >
> > > With the current NM/MM it is impossible to authenticate with this
> > > username (because of the "@" symbol), the card needs to be put into
> > > UTF-8 mode first (Thanks to Torgny Johansson for pointing this out on
> > > the mbm-devel list). The attached patch forces UTF-8 if an
> > > authentication is requested. It is against MM 0.3 as found in Arch, but
> > > it should apply with a small offset to the current git as well.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if it is safe to force UTF-8 for everyone, but at least it
> > > works for me!
> > >
> > > However, I'm experiencing another small problem with the Ericsson card:
> > > I have to enter the password manually everytime I fire up the
> > > connection. If I use a Huawei K3715 HSPA stick, it connects happily
> > > without asking first. Is this a known problem with the Ericsson card?
> >
> > Different cards support different charsets, I'm investigating this issue
> > generally.  Thanks for the heads-up.  But your patch is mostly correct,
> > though I think we probably want to use UTF-8 or UCS2 everywhere we can,
> > and fall back to "GSM" when that doesn't work.  Currently we don't set a
> > charset, which is why you have this issue.  That's a bug.
>
> I've pushed some fixes for this issue to MM git; any chance you can test
> them out for me?

Just checked out today's git of NM and MM: It registers and connects
fine now!

It still asks for the password and MM sometimes tries to use the ttyACM2
device which fails. Disabling and enabling the card again usually works
and MM either uses ttyACM0 or ttyACM1 which are both fine. This issue
was also present in the stable release!

Thanks,

Andreas

--