Re: The logic behind user/system settings

On Tuesday 16 of March 2010 02:10:25 Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 08:17 +0300, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

> > > It is created by NM itself.  It's present only if no other
> > > /system/ connections are defined that apply to that device.
> >
> > How NM decides that /system/ connection applies to device? I always
> > see two auto connections for wlan interface - "Auto Wireless" and
> > "Auto $CURRENT_SSID" even though there are system connections with
> > $CURRENT_SSID defined.
>
> A connection can be applied to a device if it's compatible with that
> device; that means that the connection isn't MAC-locked to a
> different device, or the connection doesn't require encryption
> capabilities that the device doesn't support (ie a WPA2/AES
> connection cannot be used with an old Prism card that only does
> TKIP), etc.
>
> Is the "Auto Wireless" a system connection?

Actually, now. "Available for all users" is unchecked and greyed out. I
also do not see these connections using cnetworkmanager. They appear to
be created by nm-connection-editor itself for *some* APs in

./src/applet-device-wifi.c:wireless_new_auto_connection()

I do not understand how APs are selected - n-c-e always shows exactly
two of them. One is my home AP; another has literal name 'Wireless', but
I do not see it in scan result.