Re: The logic behind user/system settings

On Friday 12 of March 2010 02:51:33 Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 07:04 +0300, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 of March 2010 04:12:19 Dan Williams wrote:
> > > As you've discovered, there are user-specific settings (which are
> > > only available when that user is logged in) and system-wide
> > > settings (which are available to all users *and* before any user
> > > has logged in).  The problem you're hitting is when there aren't
> > > any settings at all, like right after an install.
> > >
> > > So NetworkManager creates an internal "Auto XXXX" connection that
> > > at least allows your system to get online if there are any
> > > DHCP-configured ethernet devices on the system.  This is a
> > > "system-wide" connection and should be available at boot and
> > > before login.
> >
> > Are they created by NM service or nm-connection-editor/nm-applet?
> > Should they be present even if other, explicitly defined
> > connections exist?
>
> It is created by NM itself.  It's present only if no other /system/
> connections are defined that apply to that device.

How NM decides that /system/ connection applies to device? I always see
two auto connections for wlan interface - "Auto Wireless" and "Auto
$CURRENT_SSID" even though there are system connections with
$CURRENT_SSID defined.

Wired interface OTOH correctly picks up system connection and does not
offer "Auto" one.

Thank you!