Re: migrating configurations of nm-applet

On 06/25/2010 11:44 AM, Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a new laptop , and I would like migrate all my configurations and
> vpns , where this information is saved ?.
> I saw .gconf/system/networking/connections some configuration but copy
> them seems not working , any tip ?

Well, when you setup a network connection with network-manager, that
connection's settings get stored in one of two places, depending on
whether or not the connection is marked as "Availabe to all users".

If a connection is not "available to all users" (i.e. it's just for one
user), then nm-applet does indeed store them in gconf under
'/system/networking/connections', as you've suspected.

To transfer gconf data, you may find the gconftool-2 utility helpful.
This thread has a bit of info on backing up and restoring gconf data:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gconf-list/2005-February/msg00000.html

However, if the connection is "available to all users" (i.e. it's
system-wide), then network-manager stores it somewhere under /etc. The
exact location largely depends on which distribution you're using. (This
is because N-M tries to cooperate with older-style networking scripts
that distros have.) For example, on Debian (and Debian derivatives, such
as Ubuntu), settings are stored under
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/

My guess is that many of the connection settings you want to copy over
are stored system-wide, so copying over
.gconf/system/networking/connections won't get those.

What distro are you using? Let's see if we can help. :)

Have a good one,
Daniel