Re: NM + DUN on Fedora-12?

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 16:45 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:
>
> >> For one thing, the BT Net Device Setup times out detecting the phone
> >> details.  I've got gnome-bluetooth 2.28.6 which is newer than 2.27.6 so
> >> that should be "new enough".  For another, it seems that the NM in FC12
> >> doesn't seem to support DUN (or if it does, I can't figure out how to
> >> connect it all up).  Apparently the FC13 NM does.  I backport the FC13
> >> NM to FC12?  Or is there something else I'm missing?
> >
> > There are various F12-updates-testing builds that do support DUN.  Check
> > koji.fedoraproject.org for them, or 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing'
> > for them.  The update rate of NM/MM for F12 will be slowing down, but we
> > should at least get NM 0.8.1/MM 0.4 for F12 which obviously do support
> > DUN.
> >
> > I've also noticed problems with BT in 2.6.32 and later kernels, but that
> > appears to be kernel/USB related and not necessarily due to NM.
>
> I've just upgraded my FC12 laptop to the most recent packages (but not
> the testing packages).  I'm hitting this kernel/USB issue.  Any known
> workarounds?  Any test-patches I could play with?

Not really, but you can test stuff out manually if you want...

1) get your BT address
2) pair the devices
3) sdptool browse <btaddr>
4) from the sdptool output, find the channel that DUN uses
5) rfcomm connect hci0 <btaddr> <channel #>

and it'll tell you what serial device it just made.  Then you open that
up in minicom and try something like "ATI" and see what happens.

If that all works, then the problem is likely in bluez or NM, not the
kernel.