Re: Fedora 13, Qualcomm Gobi 2000, Networkmanager does not show connection status

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 10:25 +0200, Stefan Grosse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Fedora 13, 64bit on a Lenovo Thinkpad x201 which has a
> Qualcomm Gobi 2000 UMTS card.
>
> I got the card working using the instructions her:
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Qualcomm_Gobi_2000
> by copying the 3 firmware files into /lib/firmware/gobi and compiling
> the gobi_loader 0.6 from source
> ( http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/gobi_loader/ )
>
> The wireless connection works without problems I get a connection. Its
> only that the nm-applet shows the wrong connection details. It tells
> that I am connected with GPRS and a signal strength of 0%.
>
> What information can I provide and where should I file the Bug (Fedora?).

Qualcomm has not released enough documentation on the chipset, so we
don't know how to talk to the Gobi through more than one channel.  When
that one channel is taken up by PPP during the data connection to the
network, there's no other way to ask the chip for current access
technology and signal strength.

Likewise, the Gobi does not have a very robust AT command set, and you
need to use the other undocumented channels to get stuff like the access
technology (EDGE, HSPA, etc) since there are no AT commands for it.

So you're out of luck until (a) Qualcomm decides to be more
Linux-friendly, or (b) somebody reverse-engineers the Gobi protocols.
More information about this can be found here:

http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2010/04/15/mobile-broadband-and-qualcomm-proprietary-protocols/

I'd like to get this working too, I have a Gobi 1000 myself.