Re: How to let NM prompt duplicate ip address?

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 12:16 -0200, José Queiroz wrote:
> Some systems fire an arp request on the new IP address prior
> activating it, if there is an answer, it's sure that the address is a
> duplicate.
>
> But the inverse isn't true: if the station with the duplicated address
> isn't operational in the moment you test it (e.g. powered down), the
> test will fail, and NM will incorrectly assume that the address is
> free.

Yeah, even if NM did some ARPs if the device wasn't around we wouldn't
get the initial notification.  But I'd imagine that we could simply open
up a socket on the device and listen for ARP replies, and if we get hear
a reply that's not from us then we do something interesting with it.

> Maybe another daemon (e.g. AVAHI) could monitor for "gratuitous ARPs"
> and syslog the duplicates.

Probably not really a job for avahi since it's dealing more with
link-local and service discovery; I'd imagine NM itself is a better fit.

Dan