Re: How to let NM prompt duplicate ip address?

Some systems fire an arp request on the new IP address prior
activating it, if there is an answer, it's sure that the address is a
duplicate.

But the inverse isn't true: if the station with the duplicated address
isn't operational in the moment you test it (e.g. powered down), the
test will fail, and NM will incorrectly assume that the address is
free.

Maybe another daemon (e.g. AVAHI) could monitor for "gratuitous ARPs"
and syslog the duplicates.