Re: Ubuntu, how to port a bug fix to modem-manager?

Il giorno gio, 14/01/2010 alle 18.07 +0100, Massimiliano Polito ha
scritto:
> Dear all,
>
> I posted some days ago about a problem with my HSDPA modem ("Problem
> with HSDPA modem and network manager")
>
> Dan Williams generously gave me a lot of information, among those a
> link to a fix to modem-manager that should solve my problem:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/commit/?id=2fc0c039e65173123a39a0fb6c8f44804cbd773a
>
> I've already filled a bug report on Launchpad
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/506620) but I guess it'll take a lot
> of time to have a fix.
>
> I downloaded the
> ModemManager-2fc0c039e65173123a39a0fb6c8f44804cbd773a.tar.bz2 package
> and succeded in compiling it.
>
> I should now run "make install" but I'm afraid that something goes
> wrong and my internet connection gets definitely lost.
>
> I'd like to have some suggestion about how to go back to the situation
> where I am now, in case something goes wrong.

You could work on a package from:

https://launchpad.net/~network-manager/+archive/trunk

(not really "daily", but frequently updated), patch it, build it and
install it. If something goes wrong, just reinstall the original
packages for your distribution (of which you will have kept a local
copy).

Or, notice that VirtualBox (the one you download from the site, not the
open source edition) has USB support, so you could set up a virtual
installation for tests (and use screenshots to save reinstallation
time).

Pietro