Re: DHCP timeout is too short for this college network

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:02 AM, John Mahoney <jmahoney waav com> wrote:
Yeah too good to be true.  I see two ways to change the timeout.

1.Change this - /NetworkManager/src/dhcp-manager/nm-dhcp-manager.c:#define NM_DHCP_TIMEOUT   45 /* DHCP timeout, in seconds */

OR

2. call this function somehere? /NetworkManager/src/nm-device-olpc-mesh.c: nm_device_set_dhcp_timeout (NM_DEVICE (self), 20);

To compile follow:
git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.git
cd NetworkManager
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
make
sudo make install

There are alteast 10 dev packages you will have to install, but keep running
autogen.sh and when it fails go hunt down the dev package.  Note some are not obvious by the name.

PS grab the code from the network manager ppa if you are using ubuntu.  I do not believe the the git command I specified works out of the box.  Network manager is a tricky package to build because there are so many package dependencies . At least you are not cross compiling it;) Dan Williams tends to bang out answers around Friday every week so if you wait til then you may get a answer from a pro!