Re: DHCP timeout is too short for this college network

José Queiroz wrote:
NM needs a lot of fixes and improvements, but I think that in this
case, it is completely innocent.

Your dhcp server is too lazy, as you can see: it only answered for the
initial DHCPDISCOVER on the third attempt, the same for the other
messages of the DHCP sequence.

I know that getting N-M to work with lazy DHCP servers is a low priority. So I hereby volunteer to take on the job myself. :)

dhclient has its own timeout logic, which seems to work nicely with slow DHCP servers; the 'timeout' value seems to specify the timeout on the DHCPDISCOVER stage, and once a server is found, different rules apply.

So I suppose that one way to address this would be to nuke the DHCP timeout logic that resides in N-M, i.e. let dhclient decide when it's hopeless. Is there anything preventing me from doing that? Is there anything I'm missing, anything that makes it really necessary to have a second timeout in N-M?

I was going to dive in and make a patch, but I wanted to ping this list before that adventure. :)

Maybe you should ask for the support team to analyze the traffic
exchanged between your station and the dhcp server, to understand why
the messages are being lost.

I've already approached the IT department and offered my help with fixing their DHCP issues. They have not been receptive. It doesn't seem like they care about this problem much. :(