Re: PPPoE connection uses wrong NIC

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 09:48 +0200, Quintin Beukes wrote:
> > Does the ib0 device show up immediately when the iBurst modem is plugged
> > in?
>
> When I plug in the ib0 device (usb), hotplug software load the ib-usb
> and ib-net kernel modules. This creates the ib0 device, at which time
> I have a udev command scheduled to do "ifconfig ib0 up".
>
> It does not show up in NetworkManager though. NetworkManager log shows
> some error like "unknown driver", and doesn't load the device as a
> network device.

Ok, that's probably because the driver doesn't correctly set up the
sysfs device links for the relationship between the device and it's
parents.  That's a driver bug.  If it did do this, NetworkManager would
likely just see the device and handle it like you'd expect.

Can you provide the output of:

ls -al /sys/class/net/ib0/

and:

ls -al /sys/class/net/ib0/device/

> > Is eth0 a normal ethernet NIC on your machine?  And next, does the
>
> Yes, eth0 is a standard realtek 10/100Mbit
>
> > iBurst modem basically act like a USB ethernet device?
>
> The ibdriver kernel module creates a virtual wireless network device,
> which allows PPPoE connections for internet access. It uses the
> wireless network device driver API of the kernel in the ib-net module,

Can you send the device any sorts of commands, and if so, what sort of
commands?

Dan