Re: ModemManager not visible in DBus in Ubuntu 8.10

Apologies for the delay in replying to this but I had parked it in the short term.

I have upgraded the device to Ubuntu 9.10 so I'd have the latest version of modemmanager and since the device is running headless I installed the JeOS variant to save disk space and processor load.  Unfortunatey I'm now seeing strange things with Dbus (i.e. it looks like it doesn't exist) that makes me think it was a stupid choice to make if I want modemmanager.  Given that Dbus stands for Desktop bus perhaps I was a trifle naive to assume it would be in JeOS.

Anyway the issue is that if I call 'modem-manager --debug' as root it appears to start ok, but qdbus doesn't start at all.  If dbus is missing then surely modemmanager wouldn't start.....?  Or would it?  I apt-get installed dbus but it hasn't altered much.

  root feegle:~# modem-manager --debug
  ** Message: Loaded plugin Nokia
  ** Message: Loaded plugin Generic
  ** Message: Loaded plugin Option
  ** Message: Loaded plugin ZTE
  ** Message: Loaded plugin Sierra
  ** Message: Loaded plugin Huawei
  ** Message: Loaded plugin Gobi
  ** Message: Loaded plugin Novatel
  ** Message: Loaded plugin MotoC
  ** Message: Loaded plugin Ericsson MBM
  ** Message: Loaded plugin Option High-Speed

  root feegle:~# qdbus
  Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: /bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally without any error message
  root feegle:~#

Am I missing something or do I need to go back and start again with "proper" ubuntu despite the fact that I plan to run headless?

Slan,
Cian

2009/10/23 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 13:22 +0100, Cian Masterson wrote:
> I am new to dbus so it is more than likely I'm missing something
> obvious!

Probably not, it should work automatically when ModemManager is running.
Can you ensure that ModemManager is actually running when you try to
look for it with qdbus?

If not, try running (as root):

modem-manager --debug

and see what it prints out.