Re: DHCP client ID not sent

On 02/13/2010 11:29 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
Dan Williams wrote:

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 15:14 -0500, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
On 02/12/2010 03:05 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 14:44 -0500, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
In the connection editor, under IPv4 Settings I can specify a "DCHP
client ID."  I assumed that this ID would be sent to the DHCP server.
Except it isn't.  Is this a bug or a feature?

NetworkManager-0.7.997-2.git20091214.fc12.x86_64

What you get in /var/run/nm-dhclient-ethX.conf during the DHCP request?
That's where whatever is in the dhclient field should end up.

It's there:
send dhcp-client-identifier "myDHCPId"; # added by NetworkManager

The dhcp server is dnsmasq, and sets up dns entries for the dhcp client
id.  It works for all my windows and mac systems.  But none of my Linux
systems work (all NM).  My router (which runs dnsmasq) also shows a list
of dhcp clients and their ids.  Again, win/mac work but NM doesn't.

What else should I check?

Wireshark, to ensure that the client ID gets sent out on the wire.  If
it's in the config file, then that's where NM's sphere of influence
stops (besides ensuring that NM gives the client the right config file,
but that's easy enough to check for in /var/log/messages since NM prints
out the command-line it's running dhclient with).

Next, wireshark on the server to ensure that the DHCP request comes
through correctly with the client ID.  If it does, then dnsmasq is doing
something badly...

Dan
Did you want DHCP_CLIENT_ID, or maybe you wanted
DHCP_HOSTNAME?  The latter is what I need (and nm doesn't seem to support)

I want whichever one will make dnsmasq do the right thing and assign a dns entry for the device.

Nathaniel