KNetworkManager installation misconfigured

After starting knetworkmanager in kde 4.3 I get the following message
in a dialog:

KNetworkManager cannot start because the installation is misconfigured.
System DBUS policy does not allow it to provide user settings;
contact your system administrator or distribution.
KNetworkManager will not start automatically in future.

I have Networkmanager-kde4.conf in /etc/dbus-1/system.d and have added the following:

<policy group="users">
<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
<allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>

which was a workaround for problems in KDE4 from google, but to no avail

Networkmanager's log looks okay but stalls before connection

Can anyone point to where this error might be?

thanks

MAC