Re: MD400G

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 16:57 -0800, Niall Parker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Not sure where the best place to post this, I was having trouble with my
> MD400G working in Ubuntu 10.10, turned out I had to copy a line for the
> MD400 in the 77-mm-ericsson-mbm.rules to get it working.
>
> # Sony-Ericsson MD400G
> ATTRS{idVendor}=="0fce", ATTRS{idProduct}=="d103",
> ENV{ID_MM_ERICSSON_MBM}="1"

Thanks, added.

> Not sure what it all means but before this addition the applet wouldn't
> let me enable the modem.

Since the (Sony)Ericsson devices use standard drivers like cdc-acm and
cdc-ether, we don't know that they need special handling unless we tag
them explicitly.  It's a good thing they use the standard drivers, so
the tagging bit is a fair compromise.

> An additional fix for automatic detection on plugin was needed in
> /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/0fce:d103 ... add the following lines
>
> SonyMode=1
> Configuration=2

Mind sending a mail with that information to the usb_modeswitch people?

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/#contrib

that'll allow everyone to benefit from this fix.

> The SonyMode line was needed to make it switch, while the
> Configuration=2 parameter was needed for Network-Manager to use it. Not
> sure what it takes to use the built in GPS (another Configuration and/or
> ttyACMx serial port ?)

We don't have GPS support yet for these device yet in MM, but that
should be fairly easy to add if somebody had the time...  The commands
are well-known and ModemManager has good location services API that's
already used for celltower positioning if your modem can do it.  GPS
would be great though.