Re: desconectado ? (nmcli locale)

On Tuesday 24 of August 2010 11:46:12 Marc Herbert wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Since the --terse option of nmcli is obviously meant to be parsed,
> shouldn't it ignore locales? Or maybe avail two options: --terse versus
> --cterse.
>
> LANG=ko_KR.utf8  nmcli --terse --fields state nm
> 연결 끊겼음

It's always safer to use LC_ALL=C (or LANG=C) when parsing program outputs and
not to rely on output not being localized. In many cases it is. Think of e.g.
'date'.
Moreover, I think it's better, for consistency, to have output localized
regardless of specified options. And instead of adding another option, you can
simple set C locale.

But I agree that we can emphasize in man page that the output is localized and
one should consider that when parsing.

Jirka

Some localization recommendations:
http://developers.sun.com/dev/gadc/technicalpublications/articles/archi18n.html