Huawei 160G fails to connect with modem-manager 0.4

Hi all!

After upgrading my gentoo system, I'd like to chime in on an issue
already raised by Tassilo Horn in July: I've got a Huawei 160G UMTS USB
modem ("O2 surfstick" in germany) which worked fine with network-manager
<= 0.7.2 before the upgrade.

After upgrading to network-manager 0.8 and modem-manager 0.4, any
connection attempt via network-manager fails with
"option_instat_callback: error -71" appearing in the dmesg and the
device subsequently resetting. Downgrading to modem-manager 0.3 resolves
the issue. The issue looks to be completely identical with the one
previously reported by Tassilo Horn.

To me, it looks like some particular command (sequence?) from
modem-manager is triggering a glitch in the device firmware. I don't
have much time for further debugging right now, but please tell me if
you need more information; I'll try to provide it as I soon as I find time.

Cheers
	-Christian

--
Dr. Christian Speckner