Re: Wifi GNOME network manager version into KUbuntu, Debian "pinning method, etc. ; jor networkmanager

On 08/07/2010 02:45 PM, giovanni_re wrote:
> KUbuntu 10.4,
>
> =
> Failing to get wifi to connect to access point.  It can see APs, but
> fails to get dhcp via command mode, & fails connect with wicd.
>
> =
> It has been suggested (on KUbuntu list?) to remove the KU network
> manager package, & that might get wicd & console command wifi working.

Well, for the purposes of testing, you can temporarily stop
NetworkManager. This command does that:

$ sudo stop network-manager

(I say "temporarily" because it would come back on a reboot.)

> Previously, I was told that there is more networking success if one
> installs Ubuntu (not KUbuntu) [to get the Ubuntu/Gnome network manager
> sw], then install KDE on top of that.
>
> =
> For a system that was installed as KUbuntu:
>
> Might it be possible to use something like Debian "pinning" to hold back
> the KU network manager package, & then install the Ubuntu NetworkManager
> package?  Guess I'd at least have to ad the Ubuntu repositories to
> /etc/apt/sources.list.

Nope, none of that is needed. Ubuntu and Kubuntu use the same
repository; they differ only in what packages are installed by default.
The GNOME and KDE "versions" [1] of NetworkManager both reside in that
common repository, and they can be installed side-by-side. All you need
to do is:

$ sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome

Then, if you wanted to run the GNOME "version" instead of the KDE
"version", you would do:

$ killall knetworkmanager
$ nm-applet &

And it should work, even if you are in KDE.

Hope that helps!

Have a good one,
Daniel

[1] Well, strictly speaking, the core of NetworkManger is a daemon that
doesn't care at all about what desktop environment is running. Indeed,
both Ubuntu and Kubuntu use the exact same daemon. However, using the
daemon on its own is rather inconvenient, so various front-ends or
"clients" exist. One is 'nm-applet', which comes in the
network-manager-gnome and is installed by default with Ubuntu; this is
the "GNOME version".  Another is 'knetworkmanager', which is what
Kubuntu installs by default.