Re: howto ignore rfkill switch

On 04/23/2010 02:12 AM, Marc Herbert wrote:
Le 21/04/2010 23:09, Jim Cromie wrote :
The switch disables all WIFI;
not just the built-in one, but also pcmcia and usb wlan devices Ive plugged in.

Do you know how Windows handles this?

In Windows, there are two rfkill switches, as well: the Windows Mobility Center one, and the HP one.

Just as with Linux, the Windows one shows up as hard-killed when the HP one is soft-killed, and doesn't let me even try to un-kill it; I have to use the HP utility (or the button) to un-kill it. On the other hand, killing the Windows one does not kill the HP one -- the HP utility says "disabled in Windows".

For the Bluetooth adapter, the HP rfkill switch results in the controller becoming unplugged from the USB bus entirely.

Lately, at least, the switch has been somewhat more reliable in Linux -- it no longer resumes "killed" if it wasn't killed before suspend.

My Samsung laptop's rfkill switch, on the other hand, is entirely software. If I unload the samsung-laptop module with the wifi card set to "kill", the wifi card can at least receive. I'm not sure about sending, since r8192pci mostly fails.