Re: complex openvpn - can nm just launch?

On 04/06/2010 12:10 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 11:28 -0600, Scott Serr wrote:
On 04/06/2010 10:25 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 10:05 -0600, Scott Serr wrote:

I have an openvpn config file that works fine with openvpn.  (ubuntu
lucid beta)  As far as I can tell there is no way to create a like
config in the nm openvpn editor.  I can make one somewhat similar and
export, but it doesn't look enough like mine to work.

Which options?

Dan

I suspect there will always be a new option to chase.
Probably, but at some point we reach the set of options that 95% of
people use.  There are seriously so many options with openvpn that it's
not funny, and the program is completely incapable of auto-negotiating
them, which is also not funny.  It's downright sad.

Here is mine:

dev tun
remote 127.0.0.1 41927 tcp-client
proto tcp-client
ifconfig 192.168.56.2 192.168.56.1
route 0.0.0.0 128.0.0.0
route 128.0.0.0 128.0.0.0
socket-flags TCP_NODELAY
ping 10
dhcp-option DNS 192.168.56.1

There is no encryption, data is sent in cleartext.  This is appropriate
for use with Azilink on Android phones.
The only thing I can see that's not yet supported is the "no encryption"
part, which (not to be pedantic) isn't really a VPN.  But I suppose
that's something we can add.

Dan

Thanks for the info Dan.

On Ubuntu Lucid Beta, there are some issues saving other options. I was going to attempt to hack up the xml and take out the key/user/pass. Do you think this would work?

I wonder how easy it would be to have an "ad-hoc" sort of connection in nm. Where nm would not care about much other that running a start and stop script and telling dbus networking is up.

For Azilink users:
If you wish to use dbus-aware apps like Empathy, I've been successful now with "/etc/init.d/network-manager stop".