Re: Annoying NetworkManager "feature"

> 3.  System boots up in single user mode ... disable autostart of network and
> NetworkManager.  Looking at /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/, I now have "eth1"
> instead of "eth0" although there is only one NIC and it is the same "type",
> etc. [BTW, what in the world keeps track of these ... where is that
> information kept???]

This information is tracked by udev in /etc/udev/rules.d/ within some
file there.

The behavior of NetworkManager in the case you seem to describe (my
apologies if I'm wrong, I only had time to read this far) is correct
here. You need to purge the udev file so when the MAC changes the
device shows up as eth0 when it boots.