Re: How Do I Get NetworkManager to Use Parameters Not in GUI Config (e.g., "Application version")

On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 13:01 -0400, Jamie Jackson wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> My end goal is to be able to connect NetworkManager to my corporate VPN.

At the moment, you can't do this; part of the reason is to ensure that
the UI is not cluster-bombed with checkboxes and dropdowns that nobody
can hope to understand.  But obviously, some options are more used than
others.

What we should do here (patches anyone?) is do an Advanced... button
like the openvpn plugin I guess.  Hide a bunch of stuff like NAT
traversal, dead-peer detection, application version, etc behind that
button like the openvpn plugin does.

Basically, we should pick sane defaults so that you don't *have* to
touch that Advanced... button most of the time, but if your network
admin decides to be a jackass, at least you can get to it.

This involves a bit of glade work to put the button into the UI, then
some code work (like copying the nm-openvpn plugins 'advanced-dialog.c'
over to vpnc) and fixing it up.  Not hugely hard.  Then you add the
option to the whitelist in src/nm-vpnc-service.c, but we need to
*validate* the option there too; we shouldn't be letting users type
arbitrary strings and pass them through to vpnc without at least
checking them for sanity (like length, reasonable format, etc).

Dan