Re: network manager always deconfigure the ethernet interface when network link is down

2009/9/11 Luc Deschenaux <luc deschenaux mta sunrise ch>
At least I never need that NM switch to "auto eth0" when the link is up
again, I need to continue with the configuration I did choose.

I believe that I'm correct in saying that if you select the "connect automatically" checkbox on multiple wired network profiles then it will simply connect to the previously active profile instead of redefaulting to the "auto eth0" profile (which I assume is the only one you have with the "connect automatically" checkbox selected currently. This is the behaviour that I get using a crossover cable so whilst I may get annoying notifications about the interface continually going up and down, it is very quick to reapply a static config (complete with all its routes etc if you have them configured through network manager) and so the other device *shouldn't* notice. Try setting that checkbox for your static configuration and unplugging and replugging the cable to see which profile it then selects and report back with the results - I know I got it to behave in the way that I think you want, I just can't remember precisely how I did it ;)

-Graham