Re: NM and local caching nameserver

On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 11:03 +0100, The Holy ettlz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I apologise if this has surfaced before, but I've not kept real track of
> NM developments recently. In the past I remember NM was going to use a
> local caching-only nameserver for resolution and put "nameserver
> 127.0.0.1" in /etc/resolv.conf and use DBUS to notify it of upstream
> nameservers and interface changes. Does this still exist, and is there
> any canonical way to use it in Fedora 11?

You can achieve some of this using dispatcher scripts, I think; you'll
get notifications when devices go up or down which you could then use to
rewrite resolv.conf.  You won't get notifications on DHCP renew though.
Alternatively, *all* the state is available via D-Bus, so you could
write a small python listener that does what you need too without the
drawbacks of a dispatcher script.

Caching nameserver has recently come up again because the Chromium devs
really really want one, and have done some work to make NM do the right
thing with Chromium.  We need to generalize that code somewhat and make
it applicable to more than just Chromium, but with a little help we
could be there pretty soon.