Re: NM Lockdown

On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 21:13 +0200, Hans-Gerd van Schelve wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I would like to know if there is a way for locking down the nm-applet.
>
> We want to use NM with centrally managed system-connections for ethernet
> and 3g on a couple of systems.
> Our user should be able to connect or disconnect from these both connection
> types (maybe later on also wlan) but they are not allowed to create or edit
> their own connection settings. Additionaly they should not be able to
> activate or deactivate network in general by right click on nm-applet.

NM 0.7.x has PolicyKit support to disallow editing of system
connections.  You should be able to achieve some measure of lockdown by
using GConf to lock down the /system/networking/connections path and not
allowing user-changes to it.  Look into GConf Mandatory settings.

At the moment, we don't have a way to disallow the options in the
right-click menu.

Dan