Re: Problem with changing encryption for established connection

2009/10/26 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
I made that work at one point, so that if you did switch from WEP to WPA
it would just ask and you send the new settings.  But at some point I
think that became obsolete, because NM won't even try to connect to your
AP if the connection is WEP, but the AP is WPA; this filtering was
requested mainly for people with 'linksys' default-ssid APs where say
their neighbor was running one with WEP + 'linksys', but the one they
connected to was WPA or something.

I'm curious about this. Are people with that model of router simply unable to change their SSID then? If not, surely if their neighbor's SSID is the same as theirs and this is causing them issues then the correct course of action would be to change their SSID and not cause everyone to lose what I personally think is an essential piece of functionality. Changing of encryption methods is actually quite common (no, I'm not saying it's done every day but it's certainly not unexpected behavior).