Re: ModemManager not visible in DBus in Ubuntu 8.10

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 13:22 +0100, Cian Masterson wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm trying to use modemmanager in Ubuntu 8.10 but I'm not having a
> whole lot of joy.  I can install and run it but it doesn't seem to
> show up in dbus.  That is to say that a dbus-monitor doesn't display
> any traces when I start modem-manager and qdbus gives the following:
>
> cianer Feegle:~$ qdbus org.freedesktop.ModemManager
> Service 'org.freedesktop.ModemManager' does not exist.
> cianer Feegle:~$

How are you starting ModemManager?

> I am new to dbus so it is more than likely I'm missing something
> obvious!

Probably not, it should work automatically when ModemManager is running.
Can you ensure that ModemManager is actually running when you try to
look for it with qdbus?

If not, try running (as root):

modem-manager --debug

and see what it prints out.