Re: ipw2100 & Security mode:restricted

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 08:07 +0400, Sergey Smirnov wrote:
> Hello
> I use ad-hoc wi-fi with wep to connect few divice in home network.
> One notebook (IBM ThinkPad R40) has Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN
> 2100 wi-fi adapter.
> When I joint the ad-hoc using networkmanager it set:
> Security mode:open instead of Security mode:resticted
> and network doesn't work.
> If I manually set
> iwconfig wlan0 key s:XXXXXXXXXXXXX resticted
> network work fine.
> After some time NM again reset key mode to open and network down.

Try choosing "Shared Key" auth mode in the connection editor.
Right-click on the wifi icon in the menu bar, choose "Edit connections".
Click the "Wireless" tab, adn double-click your adhoc connection.  On
the wireless security page, choose "Shared Key" auth method, then hit OK
everywhere and try the connection again.

I'm somewhat dubious that Shared Key is actually legal with adhoc, so it
may just be driver problems too.