Re: Bug report

On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 14:39 -0400, francois mazerolle wrote:
> Hi !
>

> I'm under Ubuntu 9.04 and using Network Manager to manage my wireless
> connexions.
>
> The problem is that , at home, my router doesn't broadcast his SSID.
> Let me explain the situation.
>
> This morning, I'm at home, connected on my HOME network with the SSID
> not broadcasted.
> I close the cover of my laptop, and go to school. The laptop suspend
> to RAM by himself.
> Once at school, I re-open the laptop and I establish a connexion to
> the SCHOOL network.
> Shcool over, I close back my laptop ( suspending to ram again) and
> come back at home.
>
> I re-open the laptop who wake up from the suspend to ram, but sometime
> he can take like
> 45 minutes before trying by himself to try the network configured to
> autoconnect even if the
> SSID is not broadcasted.
>
> I know I can use the "Connected to a hidden network" menu and select
> the proper network,
> but it would be fine if the network manager could think like this:
>
> >> oh, I'm waking up and the network I was connected to is no more
> available: I'll try
> to connect to those I've saved in my connection list.

Next time this happens, and NM doesn't find it, run (as root):

iwlist wlan0 scan

(replace wlan0 with your wifi card's interface name, which you can find
by running 'iwconfig').

Does your AP show up, even if it's SSID Is blank?  Look for the MAC
address matching your AP.  Let me know!

NM depends on the hidden AP's MAC address showing up in the scan (which
it will, if the driver for your card doesn't suck) so that it can match
up saved connection details with your AP.