Re: [patch] [Important] NM does not completely handle default route

On Monday 12 October 2009 12:13:20 Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On Sunday 11 October 2009 20:30:58 Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> > 2. Since this seems to work fine on F12, I thought I would give a shot at
> >  F11.   The patch applies with no changes on the latest NetworkManager
> >  updatre (git20090708).
> >
> > 3. On F11 (as compared to F12), the update does nothing!  Not only that
> >  but  GATEWAYDEV= does not do anything either.  I tried adding
> >  NM_NEVER_DEFAULT=yes manually (with vi) and it does not recognize it ...
> >  or, at least, it has no effect.  NM_NEVER_DEFAULT is also not set to
> > "no" if the box is unchecked either.
> >
> > 4.  I can set the DHCP Client ID and turn ONBOOT on and of but nothing
> >  happens  with "never-default".
> >
> > 5.  "never-default" does work is I change the connection to be a
> > "private" connection (no available to all users).
>
> I looked into NM on F11 some more and, as far as I can see, the code in the
> patch as well as the GATEWAYDEV code in ifcfg-rh/reader.c is never
>  executed. Looking at the differences between ifcfg-rh/* on F11 and F12,
>  the code differences are extensive.  Someone more familiar with the
>  current NM on F11 may be able to figure out what is wrong but I consider
>  that it is not worth my time.
>
> I am satisfied that the patch fixes things on F12 (assuming the patch is
> accepted).

I have done some additional testing of the patch on both F12 and F11.
Rebuilding the NM rpms with my patch applied to both F12-rawhide and F11
current versions, works on BOTH F11 and F12!

On F12, the src.rpm used was "git20091002" and on F11 the src.rpm was
"git20090708".

In my original testing on F11 I forgot that nm-system-settings was still
running the "old" code and thus it appeared to not work.

Suggestion, when NetworkManager is "stopped", nm-system-settings should also
be killed and when NetworkManager is "started", nm-system-settings should be
started.

I thought the idea of most updates (except the kernel) is that the system
should be able to continue to run.  The "safest" thing to do after a
NetworkManager update is to also reboot.

Anyway, the patch is good for F11 and F12 (and maybe F10 also).

Gene