Re: Problem with Simple.Connect

2009/10/8 Pablo Martí Gamboa <pmarti warp es>

2009/10/7 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 12:43 +0200, Pablo Martí Gamboa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting a unreliable behavior with Simple.Connect, the first call
> will succeed, but further calls won't.
>

> Going through the logs with Tambet, we have noticed that there is
> something weird going on with IPv6 code:

I think that's mostly unrelated; NM will not finish the connection until
both IP4 and IP6 have completed, but of course in your case you don't
have IP6 configured since this is a mobile broadband connection, so that
stage is just a null-op.  The real problem seems to be:

Oct  6 10:27:04 lenovo NetworkManager: <WARN>  pppd_timed_out(): Looks
like pppd didn't initialize our dbus module

which indicates that PPP did not successfully complete, or that the NM
pppd plugin could not push the IP4 config information back to
NetworkManager.  Can you run NM like so:

NM_PPP_DEBUG=1 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

see successful.log and error.log (first and second attempts respectively)

and then reproduce the issue?  That should show a lot more log output
(including pppd's stdout debugging info) that will allow us to figure
out what's going on here.

Also, did this just start happening, or has this been around for a bit?
Or did you just install something new?

I forgot to mention that this with NetworkManager + Wader rather than NM + MM. I'm testing the integration of both packages before (hopefully) the release of Ubuntu 9.10 final. I hadn't tested Simple.Connect in a while.

I forgot to mention that when I press "Disconnect" from nm-applet, that just issues an "Enable(false)" to the device rather than "Disconnect(); Enable(false);", I asked yesterday in #nm and nobody seemed to recall why that decision had been made, they just remembered that it was more reliable for a particular device. In my case it is the other way around! will nm0.8 ship like this?

Thanks a lot for your time and help!!

Pablo

--
Pablo Martí