Re: NM post-connect hooks?

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 06:36:48PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:

> So here's how you'd go about doing this.  The dispatcher is currently
> run async and its result is ignored.  First, you need to fix up the
> dispatcher to not return the dbus action method until all the scripts
> have completed.  Next, you need to fix up the dispatcher to terminate
> long-running scripts (say, 5 seconds or more) and log that to syslog so
> we know what the problem is.  Next, the NM dispatcher calling code
> should take a callback which is called when the dispatcher is done, or
> NULL to ignore the result.  We'd ignore the result in all cases except
> for a new action you define called "pre-up".

I am not sure we really want to go down this "kill long running scripts"
approach. Often users do something critical for the system state in such
scripts, like tweaking their iptable rules etc and if killing them
prematuraly is definitly not as safe as stopping javascript on a web-site ;).

In worst case, killing them might leave the system in a non-usable state. For
me the the loss of having longer connects (or even timeouts) because of bad
scripts is acceptable to the risk we incur by just killing random scripts that
do something as root.

For me it would feel enough to do proper logging with timestamps, so if users
start filing bugs about "NM times out on connect" or "NM does not connect", we
can easily identify that they have bogus scripts etc.

 - Alexander