Re: So very close, but so frustrating...

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 00:19 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 14:39 -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 20:18 -0400, Darren Albers wrote:
> <snip>
> > > At this time Network Manager does not support Bluetooth modems.   I
> > > think 0.8 supports phones if they use Bluetooth PAN but not Bluetooth
> > > DUN.
> >
> > Correct; I may just get bored enough today triaging bugs to go implement
> > DUN in 0.8.  That opens up a huge number of cellphones, which will
> > inevitably lead to even more bugs since there's much more phone
> > variation than in the relatively small data card space.  Oh well; it
> > would help a lot of people out.
>
> 1. Add ability for MM to identify Bluetooth modems

I believe that would mostly work automatically after NM tells bluez to
create the port and connect, right?  Basically, after the BT parts come
up and the serial port is active, MM should get the add even from udev
and probe the port like any other port.

What I'm not clear about is when the serial port actually shows up in
sysfs and when udev sends the event; does that only happen when the BT
connection between computer and phone is up and the port can actually be
used?  Or does the port appear immediately before the phone/host have
connected to each other?

Next, we need to see if the probing actually works on these phones, and
figure out the bugs.  We'll get assloads of bugs about this I'm sure,
but we just have to suck that up and quirk all the stupid phones out
there.

> 2. Add plugin in bluez to poke at the modem with MM if it doesn't know
> the type of device, cache the result, the bluez plugin exports the
> information through a service

Why not just do this from the gnome-bluetooth plugin?  The plugin would
probably just ask bluez to connect to the phone via DUN, let MM discover
the port via the normal mechanisms, and then query MM for the modem
type, then create the right connection in GConf.  That should be pretty
straightforward when (1) is done.

I dont' really see why we'd need something bluez itself to do this.

> 3. Add DUN gnome-bluetooth plugin to nm-applet which would poke the
> bluez service

See above.

> 4. Add native support in NM to do the connection through bluetoothd

That's mostly already there; we wrote it but didn't connect it up to
ModemManager.  This gets a bit interesting, because now we have the
NMBTDevice object, but by default we'll also get a Modem subclass when
ModemManager announces it ahs the device.  We need to intercept that in
NM and just attach the modem to the NMBtDevice.

> After 3., if the box is ticked, the device should appear like an
> unconfigured WWAN modem to the user. The service configuration can then
> be done through nm-applet.

I thought we were going to be doing the service configuration through
the gnome-bluetooth plugin?  Basically, when you tick the box for "use
my phone for dial-up networking" in the plugin, it would throw up a
spinner and say "Detecting phone type...", tell bluez to fire up the
rfcomm port, let MM find the rfcomm port, then ask MM for the type, and
then launch the mobile broadband config wizard to get the rest of the
settings.  When that's done, it stores the config in GConf just like the
PAN stuff.  No?

> I can certainly take care of 2. and 3. if you do 1. and the left-overs
> of 4 :)

Yeah, I'm the best for 1 & 4.  I'll try to take a look tonight.