Re: So very close, but so frustrating...

I've just installed blueman, to replace bluez-gnome, and it does this perfectly.

It's a much better UI-oriented manager for BT devices altogether, it shows my phone, I click on "attach serial service", and it exposes the BT modem in DBus. NM 0.7 sees it just like a USB modem and it connects first time. Magic!

I'm too hardened to be often impressed first-time with a piece of software, but this was spot-on (does audio, obex, etc just as neatly). OK, it takes a couple of extra clicks to connect the phone, which I guess a built-in NM implementation could do automatically, but that's pretty minor.

Rick