Re: nm-applet stopped connecting to wired network

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 22:00 +0100, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:

> >> My reply with the attached /var/log/messages got held up for
> >> moderation because it was too big so I've uploaded the
> >> /var/log/messages file to
> >>
> >> http://danielfetchinson.appspot.com/
> >
> > I think it's more these:
> >
> > Nov 17 02:29:48 localhost NetworkManager: Missing required value 'name'.
> > Nov 17 02:29:48 localhost NetworkManager: 'connection' setting not
> > present.
> >
> > I don't know what the cause of that could be off the top of my head, but
> > you said you're running svn3030, which is from "Sat Oct 27 2007".
> > That's really, really old :)  The latest NetworkManager available for
> > Fedora 8 is:
> >
> > NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.12.svn4326.fc8
>
> From which repo is this available? yum tells me no upgrades are
> available. My enabled repos are: fedora, fedora-updates, livna.

It looks like the updates have been cleared from the mirrors since F8
has been unsupported for a year already.  You have to play roulette to
find a mirror that has them, and I got lucky when I tried:

http://mirror.steadfast.net/fedora//updates/8/

None of the other mirrors have F-8 anymore.

Assuming you aren't running a 64-bit install (if you are, replace i386
with x86_64 as appropriate), install this RPM with "rpm -Uhv
<filename>":

http://mirror.steadfast.net/fedora//updates/8/i386.newkey/fedora-release-8-6.transition.noarch.rpm

Then update your fedora.repo and fedora-updates.repo files to point to
the steadfast.net mirror.  The sections should look like this:

[updates]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Updates
failovermethod=priority
baseurl=http://mirror.steadfast.net/fedora//updates/$releasever/$basearch.newkey/
#mirrorlist=

(and the same for fedora.repo)