Re: nm-applet stopped connecting to wired network

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 23:21 +0100, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
> On 11/17/09, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 11:02 +0100, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
> >> Hi folks, I have a super weird situation on my Sony VAIO VGN-FZ240E:
> >>
> >> I have Fedora 8 which ships network manager 0.7.0-0.5.svn3030 and
> >> until yesterday everything has been working perfectly well, nm-applet
> >> connected to both wired and wireless networks without a problem. And
> >> the strange thing is that I didn't do anything, no new installs, no
> >> upgrades, absolutely nothing (that I know of).
> >
> > What's the output of 'nm-tool' when that command is run in a terminal,
> > when you're experiencing the problem?
>
> Thanks for the answer, so nm-tool says this:
>

> NetworkManager Tool
>
> State: disconnected
>
> - Device: eth0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
>   Type:              Wired
>   Driver:            sky2
>   Active:            no
>   HW Address:        00:1A:80:49:CF:34
>
>   Capabilities:
>     Supported:       yes
>     Carrier Detect:  yes
>     Speed:           100 Mb/s
>
>   Wired Settings
>

> - Device: wlan0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
>   Type:              802.11 Wireless
>   Driver:            iwl4965
>   Active:            no
>   HW Address:        00:13:E8:87:8E:4F
>
>   Capabilities:
>     Supported:       yes
>
>   Wireless Settings
>     WEP Encryption:  yes
>     WPA Encryption:  yes
>     WPA2 Encryption: yes
>
>   Wireless Access Points
>

> I noticed the line 'State: disconnected' however right now I'm
> connected, I'm sending this email :) Again I had to manually 'dhclient
> eth0' which results in a working connection, only nm-applet thinks
> that somehow there is no wired network connection.

Right, because the connection wasn't made through NetworkManager, and
thus the information about the connection isn't available to
NEtworkManager because dhclient wasn't run with the right callout
script, etc.

Can you grab /var/log/messages for me?  That will show what NM thinks is
going on.  It may be a carrier change race that was fixed in F10 and
higher and the logs might help us figure that out.