Re: using nm-system-settings for the user settings

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 14:54 +0200, Martin Vidner wrote:
>>
>> Dan, Tambet told me that you intend to merge nm-system-settings into
>> NM itself. I am afraid that it goes in pretty much the opposite
>> direction than I would need. Could you share some details and
>> reasons for the merge so that we can try to make the ideas work out
>> together?
>
> Reasons for the merge are:
>
> (a) elimination of a running process
> (b) reduce latency of unmanaged device discovery
> (c) code reduction in NM because IPC between NM and the system settings
> service would no longer be required
> (d) ability to store more things like persistent Wireless Enabled,
> Network Enabled, and device states in system config files
>
> Basically, I didn't see a compelling case for it to still be separate
> from NetworkManager.  Obviously the

There is one reason I can think of, why it still makes sense to keep
nm-system-settings in a separate process:

You can easily restart nm-system-settings after changing it's configuration,
without losing internet connection.

If NM could be fixed to not teardown an active connection on reload/restart, it
would of course be even better.

Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?