Re: Auto Connect through NetworkManager

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 09:31 +0800, 代尔欣 wrote:
> Hi sanjeev,
>      Change
> g_signal_emit_by_name (device, "state-changed", state, old_state,  0);
> g_signal_emit_by_name (device, "state-changed", state, old_state,
> reason);
>
> in function src/nm-device.c nm_device_state_changed(). This is why you
> always receive reason 0. After change, you should receive the correct
> reason.
>
> Hi Dan,
>      If user want to GSM auto connect, but not always want to auto
> connect e.g. user disconnect manually,  The current networkmanager do
> not act like this.
>     Now when click the disconnect , the device will reconnect again.
> This behavior is a little strange I think.
>       It is better if the auto connect occur when system up, network
> not available(e.g. unplug the net plug). But when user disconnect
> manually, do not auto connect.

What I'm afraid of here is user confusion.  You have to remember that
now, after you've clicked disconnect, the device needs to be *manually*
reactivated, even though your connections have a "Connect automatically"
checkbox.  The behavior is now inconsistent.  Automatic no longer means
automatic.  So now you suspend the laptop and resume later, and you're
not reconnected to anything.  I'm not opposed to this sort of
"disconnected" device property, but it's a larger job than just an
attribute in NetworkManager.  It also involves figuring out how the UI
should handle it, how users should be alerted that their networks won't
be automatically reconnected.  The user is more apt to blame the
computer or NetworkManager when it doesn't do what they expect, rather
than blame themselves for something they did an hour ago which they've
already forgotten.

Dan