"Wireless is disabled" message

I found out about this list through the forum mentioned in the following thread:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2008-September/msg00256.html

and appear to have the same problem. The person appealed to you guys and seemed to get a fix: I looked through the messages, but was unable to deduce what that fix was. I have the same problem (my internal Intel wireless card doesn't work, so I think the computer automatically assumes that the wireless switch is set to "off"). I'm using an external card, but cannot enable wireless to use it.

Could you please help, as I've exhausted 3 forums and every google search term I can think of!

Many regards,

Tom