Re: Default-Routing problems

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 15:05 +0000, Colin Coombs wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 15:21 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 17:54 +0000, Colin Coombs wrote:
> > > ... the default route is reset from the GSM to the Ethernet,
> > > even though the wired intranet does not have any internet access.
> >
> > NM 0.7.1 fixes your problem; simply check the "Use this connection only
> > for resources on its network" box in the Routes dialog (see the
> > Routes... button in that connection's IP4 page), and NM will no longer
> > assign the default route to that connection.
> >

> Yes! I tried this with a WiFi connection to my local intranet and it
> works just as I wanted. Problem solved.
>
> But now I have another problem: the wired-Ethernet connection is somehow
> marked as read-only (display is greyed-out) so I cannot get to the
> Routes dialog at all!

That probably means it's a read-only system connection.  Try adding
ONBOOT=no to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0; then that
read-only "System eth0" connection won't be automatically chosen.  Then
you can create a new Ethernet connection in the connection editor, set
routes, and it will be automatically used (unless you unchecked "connect
automatically...").

> Also, since the upgrade to the version 0.7.0.99 from Fedora, I have to
> remove and replace my GSM dongle several times after any reboot before
> NetworkManager succeeds in connecting to the GSM network. When it fails,
> there are messages about modem init timeouts in the system log.

This is a Huawei modem, perhaps?  I just got one yesterday (E160G), and
it hangs a lot of the time.  What model is yours?

> Also, there are sometimes two entries for 3G connections in the applet
> menu and sometimes just one. The two entries seem to be associated with
> ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 (in a random order).

I've mostly fixed that over the weekend upstream in git; I hope to roll
those changes out to Fedora users today or tomorrow.