Forcing a BSSID, unchecking "Connect automatically" doesn't work

I'm trying to force a specific BSSID (testing 802.11n in fact) but
NetworkManager keeps trying to associate to the other BSSID's (APs) on
the same ESSID.  In fact, it popped up with a dialog to set up the
encryption settings, etc. (WPA TLS) because it couldn't use the
connection profile that I forced the BSSID on.  So I let it create
another Auto profile, set up the encryption, and then unchecked the
"Connect automatically"...but guess what?  It still connects
automatically.

How do I force NetworkManager to ignore all BSSID's for a specific
ESSID, except for the one I want?