Network configuration feature proposal

Dear all,

I would like to propose a feature request for network configuration
handling. There are three parts to my request:

1. Allow different configurations (profiles) of the network preferences
(gnome-network-preferences) to be saved for easier switching between
commonly used configurations ("Office A", "Office B", ...).

2. Allow for a network preference "profile" to be associated with each
network configuration (network-admin).

3. Add some mechanism to let the user manually select (or have the
system automatically determine) the proper network configuration during
session startup or after a change in connectivity has been detected.

Maybe #1 and #2 could be merged in terms of making the network
preferences (proxy configuration) a part of the network configuration
(network-admin), thus eliminating the gnome-network-preferences dialog
alltogether.

For #3 I would like see a configuration option that lets the user choose
how how the to-be-used network configuration is selected:
a) use last active configuration
b) choose from a nm-applet pop-up dialog (session startup or whenever
   a change in connectivity is detected, like after a system suspend)
c) automatically determine configuration via observable network
   properties (WLAN: visible SSIDs, LAN: visible MAC addresses, ...)

Please CC me for replies as I am not subscribed to the list.

Yours,
jp
--
Jürgen Pabel, CISSP