ZTE modem problems and workrounds

I've had quite a bit of trouble getting a ZTE 627 3G modem to work reliably with NM. I've spent a lot of time testing, poking, and prodding, and there are problems in several areas. Not all of this is NM directly, but it all impinges.

I've posted everything I've found on the Ubuntu forums, specifically this post: <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7539275#post7539275>, please refer to this (and some earlier posts in that thread) rather than me re-post everything here.

You'll see that there seem to be issues with the "option" serial modem driver, as well as udev and/or hal device detection, and NM's interactions. Any suggestions as to the best way to report these bugs? - they seem to relate to rather disparate parts of the system, but which must end up working together.

Regards
Rick Jones