Connection sharing and security

Is there something special I need to do to support wireless security when sharing my network connection on my laptpop?

On my ubuntu Thinkpad T61 running ath9k driver I can "Create New Wireless Network..." without any security
and my iPhone will connect to the laptop's wireless.

If I try and enable security (WEP or WPA) then the iPhone seems to connect (asks for a password and once entered displays a check
next to the connection, but never gets an IP address assigned.  (It also still shows the "3G" icon instead of the wireless icon.

I tried to debug with Wireshark and all I see are Logic-Link Control packets from the iPhone to the laptop.  It's a bit curious, but
Wireshark is showing "Netgear_73:d6:8c" as the destination.  I wonder if that's my Netgear AP at home where it last connected.
My MAC on my laptop's wireless is 00:19:7e:57:65:5d.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley hank org