Re: NM CLI

I have.  It's written in python, and needs a lot of work (fex, last time I checked it had no support for mobile broadband wireless).

I'd prefer C over python, and I figured that wouldn't be too difficult given what nm-applet already offers.  Pidgin might be a good example - they seem to have nm-applet functionality built in.  So going the C lib route would allow for a cli program (library frontend) as well a building this functionality into other programs.  In this sense python feels restrictive.

-Bryan

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Rodney Morris <rodamorris gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Bryan Duff<duff0097 gmail com> wrote:
> Is there anyone going forward with this?
>
> It would be useful for non-X or non-KDE/GNOME setups.  And if people do
> think it's worth doing (I do) then what is the best path?
>
> 1) Split nm-applet into nm-client-lib (backend - with dbus calls) and gnome
> based nm-applet, then create an nm-cli.
>  - I like this option the most because this should re-use a lot of code
> (libnm_* for example).
>
> 2) Or something I haven't thought of.
>
> I've seen a couple partial implementations of a NM cli, but they all use
> python (often poorly), and I think that's unnecessary.  Hopefully I'm late
> to the party and something is already being done about this.

(Forgot to repy to the list.)

Have you looked into cnetworkmanager?  According to its discription on
the Fedora build system:

"Cnetworkmanager is a command-line client for NetworkManager, intended
to supplement or replace the GUI applets."

You can get more information and download the source at
http://vidner.net/martin/software/cnetworkmanager/.

I have no idea how well it works as I've never used it.  I just
noticed the program a couple of weeks ago when a bunch of updates were
pushed out for F10 and F11.

Rod