Re: Duplicate MB entries in tray drop-down

I've been poking at this a bit more, and I understand somewhat better what is going on.

The ZTE has 3 serial ports withiin the USB interface - one is NMEA (don't know what it's for), one is supposed to be "diagnostic", and one the modem. When the modem is plugged in, NM probes the ports to see which is a modem. Sometimes 2 of the ports show as modems, though not always. Playng with the raw ttyUSB devices, I can see that they don't always behave the same. It depends whether they respond to AT commands, sometimes two do, sometimes only one - the device behaviour is a bit random every time it's plugged in.

So if two of the ports behave as modems, you get two entries in NM, because it's found two modems. Of course you can't make connections on both at the same time. I think the idea of the 2nd port is that it can be monitored for status messages, this is what the Windows connectoid gadget does to show network name, signal strength etc. It still seems to do this even if it's not detected as a modem.

I don't know how this compares to the way Huawei modem sticks work, but I guess more precise handling depends on modem manager. I'm not sure when that's going mainstream.

It's possible this, and the long identifier, could be tweaked in hal, maybe via the .fdi file, but I don't really understand hal well enough. Any ideas anyone?

Actually my ZTE is behaving very erratically, and getting worse, I'm beginning to suspect it's faulty. I've been talking to Carphone Warehouse, and I'm going in on Monday to see if they can swap it.

Rick Jones